Monday, October 5, 2009

A Different World


About six weeks ago I found Ben perilously perched on the rails of his crib in the middle of the night hollering "Mama!" We decided that maybe it was time to say goodbye to the crib, which was exciting and sad all at the same time. No more crib! No more baby!
I am happy to report that the transition out of the crib went much more smoothly than expected. Ben seems to sleep much better in a bed than in a crib. MUCH better. Getting him to fall asleep in the bed still requires some effort, and some nights I end up sleeping in there with him, but for the most part it works. We bought a rail to use with the bed, but we didn't set it up immediately. After he made it the first night without falling out, we decided to try another night and then another. It's been a couple of weeks now and he's only fallen out once. We keep the floor by the side of the bed padded with pillows to cushion any falls. I suppose we are awful parents for not installing the rail, but part of me thinks that maybe the best way to learn not to roll off the bed is to actually roll off the bed a few times? I'm not sure that many other parents share this view. And of course having written this he will likely fall off the bed at least three times tonight.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Big boy bed! This actually makes me feel relieved, because I've started to get nervous about whether Sam will be able to make the switch before April -- I'm glad Ben is doing so well! Can he open the doors? Weirds me out to think about Sam just having access to whatever is in his room.

Cute bedding!

Jen E. said...

He is so cute in his big boy bed!! Congrats on such an easy transition, too! I'm totally with you on the bed- we went straight to a single "big girl" bed and didn't mess with a toddler bed or rails and Alison has actually never fallen out of bed, amazingly!

Livia said...

That's great. I am totally dreading this transition -- not so much because of the bed but because of having Livia running free in her room. I think we will need to put a baby gate on her door (and her bathroom door) to prevent her from getting into too much, but still....