Wednesday, August 20, 2008

No Napping = No Nanny

Ben, to the best of his abilities, follows a strict no-napping policy. He will go to any and all lengths to avoid a nap. Sometimes this involves extensive crying/yelling. Of course he eventually crashes, sometimes literally, as on several occasions he's been in the process of sitting up and then all of a sudden he falls forward, fast asleep.

Anyhow, he does not nap well in a crib, a fact noted very early in his development. He'd made some progress at our babysitter Sue's house, but apparently not enough. On Tuesday she informed me that she could no longer watch Ben because he cries too much when she puts him down for a nap. And this disturbs the other babies she is watching. Whatev, as the kids say these days .

Originally there was only one other baby, but a few weeks ago she decided to start watching a neighbor's baby as well. Basically she took on too much and the neighbor's baby won out. Which is fine. We had a great situation for a couple of months, but now we need to find something else. Sue told us we could take as long as we need, but now that it's clear that she sees Ben as a problem, and not the amazing, wonderful, adorable child that he is, Harold and I are no longer comfortable with him being at her house for any period of time. So Harold is working from home for the rest of this week (as much as possible anyway, what with our problem child) while we try to figure something out for next week.

In fun news, Ben is crawling all over the place. He is having a blast exploring all the nooks and crannies of our not-yet-sufficiently-childproofed house.


He is also pulling up on any and everything.


And yes, he has a scratch on his nose that was obtained during a tumble at the aforementioned babysitter's house. So really it's all going to work out for the best. And some day we are going to enjoy giving him a hard time for being kicked out of his first babysitter's house. But as of right now it's still pretty stressful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog made me think of a country song which doesn't totally apply but I think Harold might appreciate.

www.cmt.com/video/lonestar/34663/mr.-mom.jhtml

Hopefully you can pull it up. Good luck with finding the best place for Ben during the day.

Love,

Grammy

Madeline said...

Hmmm..I say you march on over to the "neighboor" baby and give him a piece of your mind. How dare he try to make Ben look bad (is that possible)??!! I bet that baby was messing with Ben's mind and making him him cry on purpose...the bully! You known how advanced kids are these days :) Good luck!!

Amy said...

Clearly Ben is so advanced that he has outgrown this daycare option. Stinks, though -- I feel for you guys. Finding daycare is tough. If I hear of anything, I'll certainly pass it along!

Jen E. said...

That silly babysitter is going to miss Ben and will then wish she could eat her words, how dare she!!!?!

Good luck finding a new daycare/sitter- I'm sure that is very stressful given the circumstances.

Eliza said...

Ben is just meant for something better, that's all there is to it. I'm sure it's very stressful right now--I'll be thinking about you as you search for new options. If you ever get in a fix and need a couple hours respite, give a call since I am around!

BrownMouse said...

Hi Susan -- I know exactly what you mean about spontaneous napping. Paul falls asleep mid cry -- it's so funny. Did or does a baby swing work? We have used that to get Paul to sleep, but he's only 2.5 months. It works now, but he may get wise. Good luck finding a new nanny/day care! We just sent our deposit in for a daycare here in Michigan (yep, we moved!)

Have a good week!
Dana (bekki's friend)

Livia said...

I would recommend sittercity.com -- we actually found someone for Livia who babysits at night but also is available during the day sometimes. It's $95 for the year, so not a huge investment.