Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Little Drummer

We have quite the little musician on our hands. Almost every night after dinner Ben asks to get Harold's guitar out. He usually requests that I play it ("with a pick") and together we sing and strum our way through some songs (the ABCs, Hush Little Baby, Three Little Birds) until invariably Harold takes it away from us because we are making such a racket. That's what happens when you can't actually play the guitar or sing very well, but we have fun.

Anyhow, in addition to Harold's guitar, Ben recently rediscovered his toy drum and pounded out a few songs for us. This one is my favorite:

For those listening closely, or those who are especially adept at deciphering toddler-speak, you may have realized that Ben isn't singing about the little boy who "lives down the lane," but about the little boy who "went down the drain."

I don't know what to say about this. Mostly I am a little surprised that Ben is not more terrified of taking a bath if he actually thinks that there is a little boy who went down the drain. (Is this why he refused to sit in the bathtub for so long???) I am also surprised that Ben enjoys helping me let the water out of the bathtub, given the apparent possibility that he might go down the drain as well.

5 comments:

Harold said...

Got to know your chords.

Anonymous said...

I see an upcoming Buddy Rich! What rhythm! He will certainly be famous one day! Too cute!
Love,
Grammy

Madeline said...

That lil guy sure can rock out!

Jen E. said...

what a little musician already! i love it!

Destiny said...

Wow he is like jareds twin he plays soccer climbs trees (with his dad that is and i found that out on facebook) and plays the drums! before you know it he's going to be playing hockey or needing shoes every other month!