Monday, February 23, 2009

Push

So February is almost over and that is great news because it is my second least favorite month of the year after January. And this past January was a real doozy.

We were doing okay for most of the month, but then Ben somehow acquired an eye infection that didn't respond to an eye drop or to an oral antibiotic. So that landed us in WakeMed for 24 hours of IV antibiotics. It was a very stressful and exhausting time, only to be followed by an even more stressful and exhausting week when we came home.

The oral antibiotic they discharged us with was so strong that Ben's poor little GI system just couldn't handle it. So he was puking and pooping all over the place for nearly a week. He puked in his crib, in the car, on me, on Harold, on the floor, in the high chair, pretty much every possible location in our house. In addition to cleaning up the puke and doing more laundry than I've ever done in my life, I lived in constant fear that we would have to return to the hospital, which in some ways was actually worse than being in the hospital.

But fortunately the infection didn't return (knock on wood that it doesn't in the future) and Ben's belly very eventually returned to normal, though he was rocking quite the diaper rash for a while. Despite all of the puking/pooping episodes (and in case you're wondering I'm trying to use the words puke and poop as many times as I possibly can in this post), Ben was a trouper through all of it and was in good spirits most of the time, which is probably the only thing that saved my sanity.

Anyhow. February has been a much better month.

Ben's favorite new activity these days is pushing things around the house. These items include but are not limited to strollers, chairs, coolers, and a large plastic turtle that is meant to be ridden.

He especially loves pushing his stroller outside.

Sometimes with a little help....

...but mostly on his own.

He also enjoys putting his shoes in the refrigerator while trying to climb inside it.

Other current hobbies include taking Mortimer for walks...

...and very meticulously eating the inside portions of a slice of bread.

Who knows where this will lead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that Ben is back to normal. He is just the cutiest little guy I have ever seen. He is growing up so fast! Oh, thanks for the math lesson the other night. I don't know what I would do without you.

Love you guys, give Ben a big kiss from us.
Teresa, Sydney and Meg

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I guess he might be one of "those" children who will not eat the crust of the bread and the mom spends half her time removing said crust. Things could be worse! I am so glad he is over the puking/pooping episodes and hopefully they will NOT return!!

Love,
Grammy

Livia said...

I didn't realize you were sick Ben, but I'm glad you're feeling better! I hope we can play together at the museum soon!