Ben and I were up early Sunday morning and we came across an infomercial called "Your Baby Can Read!" They showed dramatic videos of babies as young as 8 months recognizing words on flash cards as demonstrated by holding their arms up or touching their bellybuttons or whatever was listed on the card. A 2 year old read an excerpt from Charlotte's Web.
When it comes to the power of the infomerical, my susceptibility falls somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Yes, I bought the Windsor pilates system, but I haven't yet bought a Sham Wow. I don't set it and forget it. But it was hard not to be tempted by this "Your Baby Can Read" business. It was all I could do not to pick up the phone and call now. But I decided to try to maintain a healthy sense of skepticism until I could do a little more research.
The program is video-based and requires plopping your baby in front of the television a couple of times a day several times a week. The video shows words on the screen accompanied with the pronounciation and images of babies demonstrating whatever the word is. Apparently all of this combines to create a fun, playful learning experience for babies.
I think that the system does work, though apparently there is a whole debate over whole word reading (which is how this system works) versus phonics. I haven't even begun to think about this kind of stuff, so I don't know if it's better to learn one way or the other. But beyond all that, I am not sure if I am ready to put Ben on some kind of reading program, even if it does seem as though it's all fun and games for him. It feels like a lot of pressure. Of course I would love him to be an early reader. We spend lots of time reading every day. We go to the library and to rhyme time as often as we can. I hope to encourage an early love of books, but I don't know if "Your Baby Can Read" is the best way to go about it. On the other hand, what if all the other baby Moms out there are right this very minute teaching their 10-month olds (or 3-month olds?!?) to read? Will Ben be behind when he starts kindergarten? Is he already behind? This is a terrible mental road to go down and I don't think I am ready for it.
So I think as of right now I am not going to fall for "Your Baby Can Read." But next week might be a different story.
4 comments:
I don't have any insights on this (I'm still waiting for Sam to enjoy books, right now he seems much more interested in anything else going on in the room than the book we're reading), but I just wanted to say that this is a SUPER cute photo of Ben!
I can't say that I have ever heard of this program, but I will offer this bit of advice, don't wait for kindergarten. Children will do much better if they are already well on their way before they start kindergarten (that is, if he is going to attend NC public schools).
Ah, the pressures of parenthood! We all want the absolute best for our kids (or babies) and I think that now more than ever we all feel pressure to get our kids started as early as possible and these infomercials pull at those very heart strings of course.
I think you are doing the best possible (by reading to Ben and encouraging books/rhymes,etc), but such an infomercial presents its temptation doesn't it?? :)
p.s I agree with Amy on the photo! Too cute!
I agree with the previous poster...reading to Ben, etc. is best for now.
Love,
Grammy
Post a Comment