So we've found a daycare. Due to an unforeseen illness (that's a whole other post) Ben's first day wasn't until last Friday. It went fairly well, though it was quite a bit more difficult to leave him in an institutional setting versus someone's home. The teachers said that he did very well, though he refused to drink a bottle until the afternoon. And true to his nature, he played until he fell asleep in the middle of a circle of blocks that they refer to as the "pool."
Today was his second day, and I think it was a little harder on him. Apparently he kept crawling over to the door and trying to bang his head against it. At some point he was successful, because he ended up with a bruise on his forehead. How heartbreaking is that??? He was trying to bust his way out of daycare. Maybe he felt he belonged with the older kids or maybe he was looking for Mom because the doorway was the last place he remembered seeing me.
It likely won't be a permanent situation, but we're at least going to try to make it through this week.
5 comments:
I'm glad you found something temporary, at least . . .but it's so sad to hear about Ben crawling after you!!
Maybe sometime we can compare notes about the options we've looked into -- we're okay with our current situation but not thrilled.
It's so hard to leave them...hope it gets better soon! I think it's usually worse for us (at least, that's what I like to tell myself).
When my girls were young, the daycares used to tell me that as soon as they saw me drive away, they stopped crying and started playing. I do, however, can't count the times I cried all the way to the office.
It will get better, I promise. It sounds like Ben doesn't like change too well. He will get the hang of things soon.
Give him a hug for us.
Teresa
Awww...I'm sure it's heartbreaking when he cries, but I am sure he is having a good time :)
I hope you find a great place for your little guy!
I know it pulls at your heart when he seems not to be happy. Give him a few days to realize there are lots of other kids and different toys to play with and hopefully he will be happy or at least content until you pick him up each day.
Love,
Grammy
Post a Comment